Thirty-six years ago, the NBA forced the Nets to pay an additional $4.8 million directly to the Knicks for invading the New York area when they first entered the NBA. This forced the Nets to trade their franchise player, Julius "Dr. J" Erving to the Philadelphia 76ers just to make ends meet.
However, last year that wasn't the case.
The tides have turned and unlike the team in 1976, these Nets are poised and ready for their first ever clash with the 'Bockers from that small borough known as Manhattan.
- Tonight's matchup: The Nets and the Knicks will be for sole possession of first place in the Atlantic Division.
- Centers: Reigning defensive player of the year Tyson Chandler will try to slow down the hot play of Brook Lopez. Lopez is averaging 19 points per game this season.
- Home Court Advantage: The Nets expect to have their first ever home court advantage against the Knicks with a new chant and arena. The years of Knick fans overtaking Net fans in New Jersey are expected to come to an end tonight.
- History in the Making: It is the first time that two New York teams will square off for first place in their division in the NBA.
- Carmelo Anthony v. Brook Lopez: Both Lopez and Anthony have been scorching other teams in the first quarters of games. But who will outscore who tonight?
Tags: Basketball, Brook Lopez, Brooklyn, Brooklyn Nets, Deron Williams, NBA, Tyson Chandler